Monday, May 23, 2011

Week 20 - The Scariest Words I Know How to Pray - Jesus, make me like you.

Favorite Quotes
The whole point of the book is to engender an encounter with him. An encounter than then empowers us to follow him and his paradoxical way. (381)

It is time to bring in the long-awaited, redeeming and recreating rule of God. (382)

Do you see what this means? Jesus Christ is inescapable. (385)

If you and I can just see Jesus in our circumstances, we can keep going. (386)

My favorite quote is "if you and I can just see Jesus in our circumstances, we can keep going."

Dear Jesus, I really do want to be more like you and see you; however, you are so powerful and passionate and intense I think I hide from you while simultaneously seeking to approach you.

Your power and glory rattle my heart and skull to the extent that I flee your presence and call. I can totally relate to Moses when you turned the staff to a serpent. I see you work and think "that's unbelievable" and then I say to myself "get me out of here" for your power and beauty seems at times extremely peculiar and overwhelming.

Thank you for doing everything possible at all times to gently and patiently teach me by Revelation. I cannot tame you. I cannot master you. I can only submit to your Revelation which occurs moment by moment with every breath that you choose to give me.

Please God, when I encounter your Revelation, I pray that through your clever little seed of faith in me, you would grant me the trust to step into the mystery of a far greater and powerful story than my own which is your meaning, your truth, your life, and your love.

Push me to say with my lips and confess with my heart that Jesus Christ is Lord.

You are the fountain of hope, meaning, truth, beauty, life, light, and love my soul craves.

Give me the wisdom and trust to drink the terrifying and perfect meal you set for me each day - body broken, blood shed in sacrificial love.

1 comment:

  1. "Dear Jesus, I really do want to be more like you and see you; however, you are so powerful and passionate and intense I think I hide from you while simultaneously seeking to approach you."

    Steve, in these short few words you have brought light onto something my heart has been feeling these past few days and I have yet to put into words or srticulate. Thank you for the courage to state what i feel (and I image what many other Christians feel). The contradition of my heart wanting and passionately moving forward to look God's might and glory in the face while my body is turning to hide int he corner. Thank you for your incite Steve.

    ReplyDelete